You might already have an IRD number - ask your parent, guardian or caregiver.
What is an IRD number?
An IRD number is a unique identification number from Inland Revenue - and it will last you your whole life. You need to have your IRD number handy every time you deal with us.
Your employer and your bank also need your IRD number to take out the correct amount of tax from any money you earn.
Getting an IRD number is easy!
For a resident
- Fill in the form and take it along with two original forms of identification, and photocopies of those documents, to:
- any Automobile Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agent
- any PostShop
- a selected New Zealand Post retail outlet.
- Once your application has been verified, the verifier will send it to us. Within 8-10 working days of receiving your application we'll send you a plastic card showing your IRD number.
For further information on how to apply, check out the IR website (external link) .
For a non-resident/offshore person
Before applying for an IRD number, you'll need to have a fully functional New Zealand bank account
- Download an IRD number application - non-resident/offshore individual (IR742) form
- Fill in the form, get copies of the supporting documents requested on the form, including confirmation of your New Zealand bank account and either:
- email the application and documents to us at offshore.ird.govt.nz
- post the application and documents to us at:
P O Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre 5045
You're an offshore person if you:
- are a New Zealand citizen and have been overseas for the last three or more years continuously, or
- don't have a New Zealand residency class visa granted by Immigration New Zealand, or
- have a New Zealand residency class visa and have been overseas for the last twelve months or more continuously.
What if you've forgotten your IRD number?
Call us on 0800 227 774 and we'll ask you some personal questions to prove your identity and protect your privacy. Then we'll give you your IRD number over the phone, and send you out a new card.