You might already have an IRD number - ask your parent, guardian or caregiver.
What an IRD number is
An IRD number is a unique identification number from Inland Revenue that you’ll use throughout your life. You need to have your IRD number handy every time you deal with us.
Your employer and your bank also need your IRD number to take out the correct amount of tax from any money you earn.
Getting an IRD number is easy
There are different processes for getting an IRD number depending on if you’re a New Zealand resident or a non-resident/offshore person.
For a resident
- Fill in the form and take it along with two original forms of identification, and photocopies of those documents, to:
- any Automobile Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agent
- any PostShop
- Once your application has been verified, the verifier will send it to us. Within 8-10 working days of receiving your application we'll send you a plastic card showing your IRD number.
For a non-resident/offshore person
You are an offshore person if you:
- are a New Zealand citizen and have been overseas for the last three or more years continuously
- aren't a New Zealand citizen or don't have a New Zealand residence class visa granted by Immigration New Zealand, or
- have a New Zealand residence class visa and have been overseas for the last twelve months or more continuously.
For more information on applying for an IRD number go to the Inland Revenue website (external link) (external link).
How to submit the form
- Download an IRD number application - non-resident/offshore individual (IR742) form or call us on 0800 227 774 and we'll send you one
- Fill in the form and get copies of the supporting documents requested on the form. You have to provide proof of your fully functional New Zealand bank account or evidence of customer due diligence having been completed by a New Zealand reporting entity.
- If you are:
in New Zealand you can take the completed application form with the original documents and legible copies of the supporting documents, along with photo ID to:
- any Automotive Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agent
- any PostShop.
outside of New Zealand you can:
- email the completed application form and legible copies of supporting documents and photo ID to offshore.ird.govt.nz, or
- post the completed application form and legible copies of supporting documents and photo ID to:
P O Box 39050
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
What to do if you've forgotten your IRD
If you’ve forgotten your IRD number you can call us on 0800 227 774. We'll ask you some personal questions to prove your identity and protect your privacy, and give you your IRD number over the phone. We’ll also send you a letter with your IRD number on it.