More than one job

Picture of a young woman at work

OK so you already know the basics from your first job. But now you want another job as well - so what else do you need to know?

If you didn't have to pay income tax on your first job, chances are that with two jobs you'll now have to start paying it, unless:

  • you're a primary or secondary school student, and
  • your total earnings from all employment are still less than $45 a week, and/or
  • your annual earnings¬†will still be less than $2,340.

If you were already paying tax, you'll already have an IRD number - but this time when you fill out a Tax code declaration (IR330) for your new employer, you'll need to choose another tax code.

With the extra money you'll be earning, you may now be on a different tax rate and/or you may start or stop being eligible for a tax credit (formerly rebate). You can use our tax code decision tree (external link) to make sure the tax codes for all your jobs are still correct.

Otherwise the steps are the same as for your first job. So if you're 18 or over and meet the criteria, you'll be automatically enrolled in KiwiSaver by your new employer. This means that contributions will start to be deducted from your pay on your first payday and will continue unless you opt out.

If you're paid schedular payments as a contractor instead of salary or wages for your second job, you'll need to complete a Tax rate notification for contractors (IR330C) for your payer. You'll find more information around the IR330C and schedular payments on our website (external link)

How will this affect you?

Check out Real lives to see Krystal's story - she's a first-year university student, and needs a tax code for her second part-time job.