Working for yourself

Picture of a young woman at work

Being self-employed or running your own business means you're responsible for paying your own tax.

You'll also need to file an Individual income tax return (IR3) at the end of each tax year.

Depending on your income, you may still be able to claim a tax credit (formerly rebate).

If you're self-employed you need to pay tax at set times through the year and you may need to register for goods and services tax (GST).

If you're self-employed and want to join KiwiSaver you'll need to choose a scheme provider and contact them directly to apply. Go to the KiwiSaver website (external link) for more information.

How will this affect you?

Check out Real lives to see Matt's story - he has just left school and works full-time, but is thinking of working for himself.

Want to know more?

Starting your own business (external link)

Tax due date calculator (external link)