Picture of a smiling young woman

What causes a refund?

If you've paid too much tax for the income you've earned, you could get a refund. This can be because:

  • you're eligible for one or more tax credit (formerly rebate)
  • your employer might have mistakenly overtaxed you during the year (eg using the wrong tax code).

How do I know if I'm due a refund?

In May you can go online to work out if you're due a refund and you can request a personal tax summary (external link) (PTS).

Summaries of earnings are available in May each year, for the previous income year ending 31 March. You can also track your earnings all year round by registering for myIR Secure Online Services (external link) .

How do I claim a refund?

If your PTS shows a refund of less than $200 this will be sent to your bank account automatically.

If your PTS shows a refund of $200 or more you'll need to call us to confirm the refund before we can pay it to you.

If you receive schedular payments (formerly withholding payments) or are self-employed, you'll calculate your refund on your individual income tax return.