Personal tax summary

Picture of a young man standing in a doorway


  • If you request a personal tax summary (PTS) and it shows you have more tax to pay, you must pay that amount.
  • If you want to know how much you've earned during the year, or want to see if you're due a refund, use myIR Secure Online Services. Register for myIR (external link)
  • Use the tools in myIR to work out if you’re due a refund, request a personal tax summary (external link) and submit one.

What's a Personal Tax Summary?

A Personal Tax Summary (PTS) (external link) shows your income and the amount of tax your employer has paid to us for the income year, letting you know if you:

  • are due a refund
  • need to pay more tax.

You can request a PTS by:

You should receive your PTS within 10 working days.

What do you do with your Personal Tax Summary?

  • Check that all the information on your PTS is correct.
  • Make changes and confirm your PTS by:
    • logging into your online services account, or
    • calling us on the number shown on the PTS, or
    • writing changes directly on the PTS and sending it back to us.
  • Pay any amount owing by the due date - we'll send you a reminder letter before it's due to be paid.
  • If you're due a refund, check that your bank account details are listed on the PTS - if not, fill out the direct credit form (attached to your PTS) and return it to us with your PTS.
  • Call us to confirm the refund shown if it's $200 or more - if you don't, we can't pay it to you.

If your PTS shows a refund of less than $200 we'll automatically pay it within 30 days.

Refunds are usually direct credited to your bank account.

Will you automatically get sent a Personal Tax Summary?

If you've paid the right amount of tax during the income year we won't automatically send you a PTS.

How will this affect you?

Check out Real lives to see John's story - he's still at school and needs to claim a tax credit (formerly rebate) for his part-time job.